Whether you are gearing up to tackle more miles in less time or just feel too sluggish on the trails there are ways you can improve your hiking speed.
- You need to continually practice. Try to hit the trails as much as you can. If anything, maybe decide on a trail and hike it on a weekly basis.
- Pace Yourself. Although you want to increase your speed, you don’t want to begin your hike going your fastest because towards the end you will be burned out. Find a pace that you are able to maintain throughout the entire hike.
- Time yourself. Each time you hike try to beat your previous time. Make into a game so that it’ll motivate you to keep pushing yourself.
- Take small steps. Believe it or not, but when you take smaller steps, you actually go further faster!
- Have a good pair of hiking shoes. Shoes can make all the difference. You want your shoes to be comfortable and supportive. If you have heavy hiking boots, you may want to try trail running shoes and see if it makes a difference for you.
With weekly practice and focus you will be finding your hiking speed increasing in no time!